Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Grimslingers vs Hearthstone

This post is going to sound somewhat hostile towards CCGs (collectible card games) and in particular, Hearthstone. 

As a disclaimer I will say that I don't think any CCG is necessarily bad, or that Hearthstone is bad. Different game mechanics appeal to different people. But in order to further shine light on why I think Grimslingers will be a terrific game, I'm going to make comparisons and point out perceived weaknesses of the genre/game.


CARD GAMES ON THE RISE

In case you haven't heard, Jagex (makers of Runescape) have announced their very own Hearthstone "clone" (quotes because gameplay sounds fairly unique). You can read about the announcement from several places, like here: http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/10/13/runescape-announces-hearthstone-like-card-game/) 





Hearthstone is incredibly popular so it's doing a lot of things right. It's simple, easy to play, everything can be earned by playing the game (A LOT), based on a popular IP, etc. 

CCG's are going to be the new MOBA's following Hearthstone's success. Many companies will make one (many already have of course).  

In fact...Grimslingers (the app) is a mini CCG, but strays from the typical pitfalls of the genre.  


THE PITFALLS OF CCGs

This is probably a somewhat subjective topic, but I know many will share my opinions here. I'd like to share a comment I read for Jagex's new game (http://www.mmobomb.com/news/jagex-enters-card-game-market-chronicle-runescape-legends/).


"I don’t mind people ripping off a game that sucks, because that means there’s potential for them to make a better version of it. I don’t enjoy Hearthstone, there’s a lot of problems I have with it, so I hope Jagex makes a card game that’s more enjoyable, and preferably with more single player content because I don’t enjoy playing against real players.

All real players do is recycle the same decks and cheese strategies they see everyone else using, and so every game feels like you’re playing against the exact same opponent. This is why the only enjoyable aspect for me in Hearthstone was their Naxxramas content. The PvP was horrible – every other game was the same Unleash the Hounds/Buzzard combo deck or Zoo deck and I got tired of going against the same crap in 90% of my games."

Harsh but speaks to a large part of what I dislike about Hearthstone/CCG's. OP (overpowered) builds and flavor of the week decks.

OVERPOWERED CARDS/DECKS

Balancing an entire game with hundreds of cards is incredibly hard. Plus it PAYS to have imbalances (people will drop a lot of cash to get that OP deck built). There are just so many variables making it hard to balance.

That's why I've designed Grimslingers differently. Players attack at the same time, and have the same set of 6 spells (Fire, Water, Earth, Ice, Wind, Lightning) which means there is a foundation for balance in PVP there. 

In addition to "element" spells there are "signature" spells. This is where the CCG part comes into play. You'll be able to customize your deck with these signature spells. However, you can only have a max of 3 signatures (currently it's only 2 until we add more). 

There are only 6 signature spells in the game right now. That's not because I couldn't think of more, but because I wanted to focus on balancing what I had. Each signature is no more powerful than the next. In Grimslingers, the cards you build your deck with only change how you play, not your power. How you use the cards (your personal skill and strategy) is what gives you power over others. 

In time, more signatures will be added. Keeping the limit to 3 signatures makes balancing the game easier and avoids having too many variables. Because each signature is as powerful as the next, I also avoid a "pay to win" business model, forcing players to drop tons of cash, trying to get the best signatures from a random outcome.

Another reason for only allowing 3 signature spells is that it makes the game much easier for first timers to card games. You don't need to coordinate 30 cards to work in unison, just 3. This helps even the playing field and allows non-hardcore players to feel competitive and competent when facing others. No need to Google the  deck of the week.

The game is geared towards mobile players, which are inherently more casual in their play styles so the overall process of deck building is very simple here.  There are planned features that support more serious card gamers who like lots of customization.

I can't share specifics at the moment, but it's called the "Boon" system.

THE CASH GRAB

I've already written a lengthy blog about p2w (pay-to-win) games here: http://isaacblacksstudio.blogspot.ca/2014/09/pay-to-lose.html , but I wanted to talk about it in the current context some more. 

In Hearthstone, your chances of getting the cards your WANT or even NEED (to be competitive) are not in your favor when purchasing a booster pack of 5 randomly selected cards. It costs a 2.99 USD for 10 cards (two packs, you can't buy just 1 with money). The more you buy, the better the price is (though as a digital game, it literally costs them nothing to give you more booster packs. At least physical card games can be connected to distribution and packaging). It's a cash grab, plain and simple. One that works very well, mind you. Millions are buying into it. 





But millions are not, and would like a different approach to competitive card games.

Grimslingers doesn't need the income to support a big studio of employees, so the game doesn't need to take this kind of cash-grab-pay-to-win approach to game design/monetization. 

Grimslingers is only being produced by two people for the app version and just plain ol' me for the physical card game. I can't share all the details on how the game will be monetized, but it will be free-to-play with IAPs (in app purchases). I can say that it won't have a pay to win approach, as nothing in the game design supports that. 

PVP vs PVE

Card games are fun, but not everyone wants to play them against others (as stated in the comment I posted earlier). It's why I like FFG's LOTR coop card game. It's why, after having perfected our PVP experience in Grimslingers (or close to it) we're shifting our focus to PVE content. 

I'd also wager that for a mobile game, a PVE experience will appeal to a larger audience than PVP. I must admit that I enjoyed Hearthstone's new PVE content more than playing others to rank up. 

How PVE will look in Grimslingers is still being designed. Initially it'll come in the form of challenging AI opponents, and I hope to build on that and add unique boss mechanics and story content (suppose it partially depends on how much our kickstarter funding ends up being). 

One thing I've seen a lot of people ask for in Hearthstone are coop battles. The Grimslingers app has been designed around having 2-4 players. It's something myself and my partner, Jeff Faust, are super excited about producing.

IN CLOSING

Grimslingers aims to be a truly unique and refreshing experience for those that love card games and those who don't (yet). 

If you disagree, have questions, or agree, leave a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment